Monday, January 11, 2010

At the beginning of the year...





I love New Years.

I think it is one of my favorite holidays.

Why?

Because it's a new start.


I don't care who you are, but I believe that nearly everyone ponders and at times even undertake the task of New Years resolution. They range from, "This year I am dropping 20 pounds." to "This year I am going to call my mother more often." All across the board. But the one thing they have in common is a desire for something new and good and a break from the old, mundane, evil, harmful, etc.

We all desire this newness.

I want to be new this year too.

I want to love in a new way. I want to be able to love my fellow men and women in an unconditional way. I remember the day I gave my life to the Lord, I told Him, "Lord, I give my life entirely to you. Everything. All of it." Through the years He has unveiled to me that what He desires for my life is to give it to others as well. When we give our lives to God, He disperses our gift of self to all of humanity. Look at the saints who have done the same:

Mother Theresa, Pope John Paul II, Francis of Assisi, Maximillian Kolbe... and countless others.

The question I face now is one of practicality. How do I love my fellow man unconditionally this year? It seems like such a huge and broad undertaking. I think to make it more manageable I am going to need to work on a particular way of loving. This year is patience. I will be more patient. If someone asks me for something, I will do my best to respond in love and charity. Even if it means one of my students knocking at my door at 2am to ask for toilet paper. I will respond in love.

I believe this even will transfer over to my relationship with Cay. There are times where we butt heads. I believe this is inevitable since we both are passionate people and stubborn in our own ways :-) But I think that there can never be enough patience in love. So many problems, as much as I have experienced thus far, can be averted when one practices patience with the person that they love.

Please pray for me as I take this resolution on :-)

P.S. I am also making a resolution to work out everyday.

God bless you all and your new year's resolutions!

No comments:

Post a Comment