Monday, February 7, 2011

Wearing the Sacredness of Sunday...

I believe that Sundays should be sacred...

I have (for most of my life) and will always be a Church-going man. There is a beauty to this "ritual" of dressing up and going to Church that I have only come to appreciate in my later years.

On Sundays we acknowledge that there is a God and that we, as Christians (or whatever your faith may be) consecrate one day out of the week in which we stop and recognize that.

The Judeo-Christian belief professes that the Lord created the world in 6 days and on the 7th He rested (which would technically be Saturday)

However, with Christ came the new day. A new covenant that would be the fulfillment of the old. This would supersede the 7th day of rest and thus put the consecrated day not on the 7th, but on the 1st day of the week (which is Sunday). Sunday is the new Sabbath, because on this day Jesus rose from the dead and opened the gates of heaven for us... this is most important event in all of history.

Anyways... back to my point. I believe that Sunday is my first day of the week, not Monday. Sunday is when I can start new. I believe that this newness is manifested in many different ways, even in small ways such as dressing up for Church. We wear good clothes, because on Sunday we remember what Christ did; He clothed us with salvation by his resurrection. I believe that we can symbolize this by putting on clothes that are appropriate. This is why I am against wearing t-shirts and shorts to Mass. Christ clothed us with Himself, the least we can do is put some proper clothing on at Church :-)

What do you all think? I would love to hear what you have to say...

2 comments:

  1. I believe we had this conversation once during college. Nice point "again" I totally agree. How's Cay and the baby? How are you? Hope you are all doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Stewart (aka PJ), We are doing really well! Cay is having a remarkably easy pregnancy so far. We really hope it continues. Baby Elijah is healthy and kicking. He is going to be fine young lad. Life here in Vienna is pretty sweet. It's just so easy going here compared to what I am used to in the US. Thank you for the comment and best wishes to you and your family :-)

    ReplyDelete